Knife Maintenance for Your New Knives
- Lightly hone your knife with a ceramic rod just before and after usage. The ceramic hone does not remove metal but aligns the blade edge.
- Prevent dulling the edge by using a surface you can cut into (wood or plastic).
- Hand wash with soap and water, dry immediately. Do not wash in the dish washer. Stainless steel is rust resistant, not rusting proof.
- Select the correct knife for the job. Most knives are manufactured with a specific purpose in mind and are designed for that purpose.
- Do not store your knives loose in a drawer. Use a block, magnetic strip, slotted hanger or edge guards.
Remember, your knife is not a can opener, a screwdriver, a pry bar, box cutter or hammer. Repairs to broken tips, bent blades nicks and chips can’t always be repaired. Repairs can be expensive.